Thursday, May 2, 2013

nablopomo day 2 -- comfort: do you still sleep with a stuffed animal now?

Do you still sleep with a stuffed animal now?

I don't believe, to my knowledge, I ever slept with stuffed animals.  I've never been one to really collect them and pile them onto my bed.  I don't remember having a specific stuffed animal that I freaked out over not having.  I did have a favorite stuffed animal, but I'm not sure I was so attached to it that I slept with it.

No, at almost 26 years old, I don't sleep with a stuffed animal, thought I do know people my age who do.  I do, however, sleep with two furry animals with heartbeats that generate heat to keep me warm and take up space so I sleep in awkward positions.



They are my nightly comfort.  No matter how uncomfortable I get at night, I can't sleep well without them.  And they have to sleep with me too.  If I move from the couch to the bed or vice versa, they are right behind me.  When I am on vacation, it is the one thing I miss most, not having my babies cuddled against me.

Dogs have always represented comfort to me.  My dogs, at least.  Opie and Maizy always need me.  They freak out when I come home, as if I spent three months in Uganda or something, even though I've only been gone a half hour.  Even though they are short-haired dogs and not fluffy, they are still cuddly.  I like burrowing my face against them and not getting fluffy hair in my mouth.

I always joke that my dogs are my space heaters and honestly... it's not so much of a joke.  Together, they generate so much heat.  I've not experienced a hot summer night with both of them yet and I am sure I will be dying, but when it is cool, they are the perfect temperature.

When I am having a bad day, I just want to curl up on the couch or in bed with my puppies.  I don't feel better without them.

So even though I don't sleep with a stuffed animal now, I think Opie and Maizy serve the same purpose.  Comfort that I can hold onto.  Comfort that stays by my side through the night.  Comfort I can't live without.

No comments:

Post a Comment