Wednesday, May 29, 2013

love.this.move. -- my last home in BG

I have lived in Bowling Green for four years... and by the end of next week, I will have moved in this city 3 times.  It sounds pretty crazy, but there are good reasons.

Move #1:  My first apartment here was super crappy.  When I moved in, there was dried puke on the side of the sink... that should have been my first clue.  I should have complained and I don't know why I didn't.  I may have been stressed out over the move... it was my first big girl apartment.  Needless to say, I couldn't get out of there fast enough.  And I got to move into a house down the road!  A big, beautiful house with two of my friends.  I was elated.

Move #2:  One of the roommates dropped out of grad school and just (literally) up and left one day, giving us a couple hours' notice.  She paid rent on the rest of her lease, but she basically left a lot of her stuff there and came back occasionally.  I desperately wanted to stay.  Myself and the other roommate even offered the landlord a deal to stay since paying rent between just the two of us was too expensive.  We tried to find a roommate and everything... it just didn't work out... so I moved again.

And now we come to Move #3.

I must say, I have lived here in this 2nd floor apartment for two years.  This is the longest time I've lived someplace since I started college in 2005.  I've moved quite a bit.  I like this apartment, but it's a bit expensive.  Since I live on the 2nd floor, there is a cranky old lady who lives below me.  I used to watch television with subtitles and very low volume, but she always had something to complain about.  The other tenants in the building told me to ignore her and that she was just a sour person, but I'd had the last straw when she came up pounding on my door one day because there was a bunch of gross water in her tub.  Maintenance had been in my bathroom working on my tub earlier that day.  I was trying to fall asleep because I had a horrible headache and she pulled me out of my relaxation.  She kept asking me what *I* was doing that caused all that yucky water to fill her tub and what was *I* doing to make so much noise? (Maintenance was snaking my pipes).

It got to the point that I just didn't care anymore.  I got yelled at no matter what I was doing.  Honestly, it's really just a case of old lady has super-hearing from hearing aids... I can't help that.  But I really missed being able to blast music and dance around and have people over... and then my friends offered me a home in their backyard.  They have a little one-bedroom house back there and needed a tenant for the coming year after their sibling and his family moved away.  Rent was almost half what I was paying at my current residence.  I could walk to work and church and not have to spend much of anything on gasoline.  I would be among friends, in a location that I spent a good deal of my time anyhow.  It was the perfect offer.  And I took it.

I move next week.

So I am packing...


And I have lots of boxes...


And there is more where that came from.  Thank goodness I went through my dejunking/life simplifying stage earlier this year.  I could only imagine how much more junk I would have left to pack.  And there is still more to get rid of!  Can you say yard sale?

In anticipation of my move, I bought a new couch (because I brand new sofa that I just purchased a few months ago will not fit through the door of my new home).  I sold my "old" one to friends, the very friends moving out of the little house I am moving into.  I also took up painting.  I was tired of searching for the perfect posters or photographs to decorate my home with, so I decided to make my own!  (Note:  I have never painted anything in my life).


Not too shabby for a beginner, eh?  It will be perfect over either my television, sofa, or bed, depending on how I arrange things.  I do want to paint a couple more things for my home.  Painting is quite stress relieving.  

I've never been the artist of the family.  My sister is incredibly talented.  Here's an example of her art:


Did I tell you she's extremely talented?  That's a portrait of herself.


And that is a portrait of her cat, Kiki.  

I was always the writer of the family.  I've never really had interest in art, but I've come to realize how wonderfully fun and relaxing it is.  I can't wait to see what I come up with next.  It'll be as much a surprise to me as it will be to you!

Off to pack more of my stuff.  

No comments:

Post a Comment