Wednesday, May 1, 2013

love.this.challenge. -- nablopomo may 2013 + did you have a favorite stuffed animal as a child?


Okay, so it's not really a challenge - more of a writing/blogging exercise.  NaBloPoMo stands for National Blog Posting Month and I just discovered this yesterday, though from what I have researched, it seems it has been going on for years.  I'm a little late on jumping the bandwagon, but it sounds like fun!  It's similar to NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writing Month) which happens every November, but... I have failed every single time I have attempted that.  The blogging counterpart is much more do-able for me.  

Anywho... I have been attempting to blog more and increase my blogging presence by getting involved in blogging communities.  Let's face it... the lack of comments around here is depressing.  But I also want to connect with others who have similar interests and like to blog.  Blogging has been such a blessing for me as it has restored my love for writing (yeah, the love that grad school murdered) so I want to be as involved as possible.

So I've become a member of two blogging communities: BlogPaws and BlogHer.  BlogPaws is, you guessed it, a blogging community for "pet enthusiasts" like myself.  If you haven't already noticed, I'm obsessed with dogs, particularly my two babies, Opie and Maizy, but I do go crazy over dogs in general.  I am a huge supporter of humane societies and no-kill shelters and of all those wonderful people out there who work their little tails off to make sure that these poor homeless babies find furever homes.  I have found a lot of awesome blogs through this site (and through the use of Twitter) and it's been a lot of fun and very informative for me.  

BlogHer, you guessed again, is a blogging community for women.  It's pretty amazing how much goes on over there.  I was just browsing yesterday when I came across NaBloPoMo and decided, hey!  I want to do this!  So the idea is to blog every day and the theme this month is COMFORT.  Each day, a prompt is offered and though you really don't have to follow the prompts, I am going to.  This is my first stab at this, so I'm going to follow the intended structure.  

Today's prompt:  Did you have a favorite stuffed animal as a child?

This is me, circa 1990.
You can't really tell, but that's me showing of my Cincinnati pride with a Reds baseball cap.  And, tucked into my arm, is Patch, my most favorite stuffed animal of all time.  Patch is from the 1961 Disney animation 101 Dalmatians.  


As you can see, I have always loved dogs.  I carried Patch around all the time.  I had Patch all the way through high school, but I don't know what happened to him.  I still might actually have him packed away somewhere, but for the sake of not knowing, he could be in a landfill.  As a baby, I hated stuffed animals and dolls (so says my mother).  As I got older, I allowed stuffed animals in my life and preferred dogs.  When I was in kindergarten, I vowed I would become a veterinarian.  That dream lasted until I watched an Animal 911 VHS (old school, guys) and saw a veterinarian have their entire arm down a horse's rear end, dealing with a bowel obstruction.  That picture has been seared into my mind.  Thus ended my dream of being a veterinarian.

Patch endured a lot of abuse over the years.  He originally had a collar, but that didn't last long.  His patch had been torn, so at one point I trimmed it up.  His plastic nose was cracked and dented due to many years of being knocked onto walls, floors, other hard surfaces.  He had taken a trip in the washing machine many a time.  He didn't stay white for very long.  And, poor guy, his leg kept splitting from his body so he'd been stitched up countless times.

Patch really is the epitome of my love for dogs.  Patch, and my real life dogs, have given me so much comfort over the years.  Dogs are always there for you.  They love you unconditionally.  They are warm and cuddly (at least mine are) and they sense your feelings.  They know when you need them and they always need you.  For the longest time, I didn't have a dog, so Patch sufficed.  I wish I still had him for the sake of having him.  My childhood wasn't all that pleasant, but Patch definitely is one of those things that make me smile.  And my childhood devotion to the Cincinnati Reds.  

No comments:

Post a Comment