Tuesday, April 16, 2013

love.this.talk. -- the hope of god's light

This is my follow-up to April's General Conference.

Oh, boy.  President Uchtdorf never fails me.  Love that guy.  Why?  If you're ever depressed, feel worthless, or having one of those bad days, or just need a little spiritual boost, any of President Uchtdorf's words from any Conference will just lift your spirits.  Click below to access the talk.


Photograph from lds.org.
I don't want to spoil the whole talk for you and I could never do it justice anyway, but I do want to say a little bit.  

We all feel darkness at some points in our lives.  Sometimes we are completely consumed and don't have any hope to see the light again.  Sometimes we are surrounded by light but boy, do we see the darkness coming.  Sometimes it's a little black rain cloud following you around.  At least, that's what darkness has felt like to me in the past.

Your darkness can be anything.  Stress, fear, worry, a negative situation, an emergency, what have you.  Oftentimes that darkness seems as if it will last forever.  When I think of this, I try to remind myself of Doctrine & Covenants 121:7

My son, peace be unto thy soul; thine adversity and thine afflictions shall be but a small moment.

This verse is all at once comforting, yet hard to swallow.  Sometimes I find myself crying, "When will this end?!?!?!?!"  In many situations, it is up to you when the darkness ends and the light starts.  President Uchtdorf gives us steps to follow to feel the hope of God's light.

First, start where you are.

Second, turn your heart toward the Lord.

Third, walk in the light.

These steps are so simple yet sometimes we neglect to follow them.  I particularly love "start where you are."  Oftentimes I feel like I can't do anything about my situation or my feelings because I'm "just not in the right place to do anything about it."  As my dear Angie constantly says, "You can always do something."  It's also very comforting to know that we can start where we are and get results.  It's never too late.  We are never too far from Heavenly Father to return to him.  Isn't that just a ray of sunshine through your soul?

As you can see, each step above is an action, which emphasizes our agency and the concept that we must ACT and not be ACTED UPON, something I've been thinking about lately.  Start.  Turn.  Walk.

My thoughts aren't anywhere near as gorgeous as those of President Uchtdorf's, so I suggest you click on the link and read it.  I just wanted to share a few things on my favorite talk from April's General Conference. Can't wait until October!

No comments:

Post a Comment